A mass tort is a case where many people are injured or harmed by a product and they each sue the corporation individually under the same claim. While there are many separate cases, they will most likely share characteristics or be based on similar injuries.
2017 saw many products with negative consequences. Many of these lawsuits are expected to continue to develop in 2018, but other new cases will develop and make headlines as the year continues to unfold.
What Are 5 Mass Torts to Look for in 2018?
These are some of the cases that will make headlines throughout 2018. Other, new cases may develop depending on any new injuries that surface.
While some of these are drugs that require a doctor to prescribe them, there is also a household item that anybody could purchase and use without knowing that its detrimental to your health.
- With the country in an opioid crisis and many people struggling with opioid addiction, lawsuits for the companies that pushed opioids are on the rise. The lawsuits claim that the pharmaceutical companies knowingly distributed addictive opioid pills and are the reason why so many Americans are struggling with addiction.
- This medication is meant for blood-thinning made by Janssen Pharmaceuticals and Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals. The drug caused a large amount of bleeding that was sometimes fatal for some patients.
- People took this medication as an antipsychotic that treats schizophrenia. However, the drug caused gynecomastia in men who used this drug. They claim that Janssen Pharmaceuticals failed to disclose this fact and didn’t warn users about this side effect.
- People who have been using talcum powder made by Johnson & Johnson claim that prolonged use causes cancer.
- Johnson & Johnson’s diabetes drug has severe side effects that have made people need to go to the emergency room or hospital. Some of the side effects were kidney stones, kidney failure, and UTIs. There’s also a possibility of getting diabetic ketoacidosis, which is a high amount of acid in the blood. People experience trouble with breathing, fatigue, and nausea.
Using a product shouldn’t be a risk to your health. Companies are supposed to test their products and inform their consumers of possible side effects. When they cut corners with testing or withhold information, they’re putting your health at risk. Some injuries can heal, but other issues could affect your health for the rest of your life.
The Atlanta personal injury lawyers at Bey & Associates believe in standing up for those who can’t stand up for themselves. Going up against a company might intimidate some, but not us. We’re going to do all we can to make sure you’re compensated after the company’s negligence caused you to sustain an injury.
Call us today at (877) 260-2784 for a free consultation and we’ll discuss your case.