Car technology has been advancing steadily in recent years. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released a timeline detailing car safety features. The safety features between 2016-2025 are partially automated. They include lane keeping assistance adaptive cruise control, traffic jam assistance, and self-parking. As cars incorporate more safety features, they’re making the road safer for everyone and helping to reduce the chance of accidents occurring.
Many car accidents happen when cars drift from their lane or don’t signal that they’re moving. Speeding, driving too quickly for inclement weather conditions, and distracted driving all contribute to car accidents. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, you can get help. An Atlanta car accident lawyer from Bey & Associates will fight for you to get the compensation you need.
The DMV released a list for the safest cars of 2018. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is the organization that makes the list. They have certain criteria that cars must meet and imposed new rules this year that meant many cars didn’t make the cut.
Many new rules were made out of necessity—to help reduce the alarming high crash percentages at night. The NHTSA reported that 2016 showed 19,274 fatalities from night car wrecks. The IIHS and top car manufacturers agree that their criteria change will help car models to evolve into safer vehicles.
The cars are tested on crashes, need to meet headlight requirements that includes judging night driving safety, and must have passenger safety. Many of the top car manufacturers made the DMV’s list. Four car manufacturers made the safest big cars and SUVs in 2018.
What Are the Safest Big Cars and SUVs?
The safest big cars and SUVs have four categories, but some of the manufacturers have the safest cars and SUVs, showing their improvement in more than one kind of vehicle.
- BMW. The 2018 5 Series is one of the safest large luxury vehicles on the road.
- Lincoln. The Continental is a safe vehicle made by the Lincoln division of the Ford Motor Company.
- Hyundai. The Genesis G80 and Genesis G90 were the safest large cars, and the Santa Fe and Santa Fe Sport were the safest SUVs.
- Mercedes-Benz. Their E Class was voted a safe large car and the GLC-Class SUV was one of the safest luxury vehicles.
What Are the Safest Small and Midsize Cars?
One surprising note to make about the safest midsize cars is that they all came from foreign car companies. No American automaker made the list. A single American automaker was in the running at the beginning of 2018 for small cars but didn’t outdo their competition.
- Subaru. The Impreza and WRX were the safest small cars, and the Outback and Legacy made the midsize car list.
- Kia. The Forte and Soul are some of the safest small cars in 2018.
- Toyota. The Camry is one of the safest midsize vehicles.
Safety features are a top priority for automakers. As time goes on and more car manufacturers can incorporate this technology with their cars, more people will be driving with cars that will help them stay safer on the road.