May 17, 2018
How Often Do Slip-and-Fall Accidents Happen at Businesses?
Businesses are supposed to maintain their property so employees and customers are safe. But when an owner acts negligently, they put everyone at risk. If you’ve been injured because of someone’s negligence at a business, you can seek legal aid. An Atlanta slip-and-fall lawyer from Bey & Associates can help you get compensation. Your settlement could cover medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. We’ll do everything to win you a favorable outcome.
Where Can Slip-and-Fall Accidents Occur?
Slip-and-fall accidents can happen anywhere. The workplace is no different. All it takes is for the person in charge to ignore safety issues for someone to get hurt.
Slip-and-fall accidents are more common here:
- Entryways. When the weather is inclement and everyone is tracking in snow, mud, or rain, entryways can get slippery.
- Staircases. Railings need to be stable and the steps need to be flat so people can walk safely. If they’re outside, they need to be clear of debris like stones or leaves and regularly salted in the winter months.
- Slippery Surfaces. Some businesses might deal with liquids, like a drink spill in a restaurant. But every building has water and there could be a burst pipe or a leak, causing water to pool and create a slip hazard. Property owners are supposed to fix these issues as soon as possible.
- Uneven Surfaces. A walkway could have indents, holes, or unstable areas. Carpets are also a major issue. Fraying carpets or rugs that aren’t anchored to the floor could easily make someone trip and fall.
- Parking Lots. These need to have maintenance so they’re properly salted and safe to walk in. Parking lots also need to have plenty of lighting so people can navigate the lot safely.
When slip-and-falls happen, you need to take care of your injuries. This is no different at the workplace. It’s important to know that these injuries occurred because of someone else’s negligence and it wasn’t your fault. You can stand up for yourself.
Slip-and-Fall Accidents at the Workplace
After a workplace accident, there are several steps you should take to protect your interests. Following the correct protocol could help your claim later.
- Inform Your Supervisor. First, tell your supervisor what happened and where.
- Report the Incident. After informing your supervisor, you should fill out an accident report. Be as detailed and accurate as possible.
- Ask for Medical Care. There are certain health care providers that will be covered by your employer. Ask which providers you can go to. Go get an evaluation regardless of how you feel. Some injuries could not present symptoms until later and waiting will allow the injuries to get worse. Waiting a long time to see a doctor could also affect your claim and you may not get full compensation.
- Contact Slip and Fall Lawyer. To make sure you’re doing all you can to protect yourself and get what you’re owed, get in touch with an Atlanta slip and fall lawyer.
Your slip-and-fall lawyer will hold the negligent party responsible and make sure your rights are represented. You will also have peace of mind that someone is fighting on your behalf.