How to Find Out if a Car Accident Was Reported

When there is a collision between two or more vehicles that causes injuries and other physical damage, the police are supposed to arrive on the scene so that they can make a report of what happened and what was affected. Later, that report can help you with any legal claim you might be interested in filing. It gives you firm details about the accident and how everyone was impacted.

If you don’t have a copy of the police report from your car crash for whatever reason, or if you’re not sure if a report was even filed, you can find out. Let’s take a look at how you can request a traffic crash report in Georgia.

Who Can Request a Traffic Crash Report in Georgia?

Before you request a traffic crash report through the Georgia Department of Public Safety, you should know whether or not you’re eligible to make that request according to Georgia Code. In O.C.G.A. Section 50-18-72 (a)(5), the code specifies that the only people who are entitled to a police report are those who are mentioned in the report or who show the need for it through a written statement.

Here are some of the parties who could be considered in need of the report:

  • Personal connection to a person in the report
  • Business or professional relationship with a person in the report
  • Owner of property that was damaged in the accident
  • A person injured in the accident
  • Witnessed the crash
  • Insurer of someone involved in the collision, or of the property damaged
  • Liable party in the wreck

There are other parties who also could write to obtain a copy of the report, but these are the ones who are most likely to be relevant to your situation. It should be easy for you to get a copy when you were involved in the accident, spoke to the police, and had your information recorded. If not, your car accident lawyer can help you.

How to Make a Traffic Crash Report Request

Once you determine that you are eligible to request a traffic crash report in Georgia, you can now follow through with making that request. More specifically, you’ll need to make an Open Records Request through the correct department that would have made the report in the first place.

If the Georgia State Patrol was who investigated your crash, you’ll need to contact your local post or their Open Records Unit. You’ll need to fill out the Open Records Request form and submit it with your request to the correct State Patrol Post. While the Open Records Request form isn’t required, it makes it easier for them to locate your crash report and expedite the process.

If the Georgia State Patrol wasn’t who investigated your accident, or if you’re not sure, you can file a crash report request through the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT). They have a request form that you can fill out and submit to them.

What Information Will I Need to Provide?

Before filling out these requests, you probably want to know what information you’ll need to provide so that you can be fully prepared and not miss anything. You’re likely filing a report request to find out whether or not your car accident was reported, or you’re making the request so that you can have a copy for your records, so you want to get the request right the first time.

Here is the information you’ll need to provide when making an Open Records Request so that you can obtain a copy of your traffic crash report in Georgia:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Names of victims or others involved in the accident
  • What record you’re requesting
  • County or city in Georgia where the wreck happened
  • Date of the incident
  • Crash report number or incident number if there is one

With all of these details, you should be prepared to give the state everything they need to grant your request. Once it is processed, they’ll be able to tell you whether or not a car accident was reported. If it wasn’t, they’ll let you know. If it was, you’ll get a copy of the report for your own records.

Bey & Associates, LLC Will Support You

After an auto wreck in Atlanta, you might be wondering if a report was filed about it. In order to find out, or to get a copy for yourself, you’ll need to file a request. This could be while you’re dealing with recovering from the injuries and damages that you suffered in the collision. Through all of this, you could use the help from a lawyer.

At Bey & Associates, LLC, our expert Atlanta car accident lawyer is here to guide you through the legal process and any other support you need so that you can focus on healing. You don’t have to go through this alone. Contact our office today so we can discuss your options and start fighting for you.

Contact Us

Primary Contact Form

Practice Areas

Recent Articles