The consequences of a motorcycle crash can affect you for the rest of your life. While you’re dealing with serious injuries, a potentially long recovery time, and the expenses that come with treatment, you deserve to have someone you can turn to for help. An Atlanta motorcycle accident lawyer from Bey & Associates will fight for your rights so you can get the compensation you deserve.
Your crash likely occurred because of someone else’s negligence. When our law firm is representing you, we’ll find out how the other party acted negligently and how it led to your injuries and losses. You can have peace of mind that we’re protecting your rights and future.
Motorcycle Crash Statistics in Georgia
It’s important to understand the impact that negligence has on motorcyclists in Georgia. In 2017, there were 135 rider fatalities. Of these fatalities, 120 riders wore helmets, 17 did not wear helmets, and 2 were unknown. While helmets can play a major role in protecting riders, the other party’s negligence is what caused the accident in the first place. In high-traffic areas, the accident could also involve more than two parties.
In a recent accident in Atlanta, there was a multivehicle crash that involved a biker and two sedans on the Downtown Connector. Unfortunately, the collision was fatal for the biker and the drivers both needed hospital treatment for their injuries.
These fatal collisions can occur in a matter of seconds, but you may be dealing with the repercussions for a long time. Having a motorcycle accident lawyer from our law firm on your side can help you get the justice you deserve.
How Does Negligence Cause Motorcycle Injuries?
When our attorneys investigate your case, we’ll look for the cause of the accident. If the other party acted negligently, we’ll find out how. Some of the common negligent behaviors that can result in a crash include:
- Failure to Check Lanes. If a driver doesn’t look carefully for oncoming traffic, they may not notice an approaching motorcyclist. Collisions typically occur where a driver is making a left-hand turn and they strike a rider they hadn’t seen.
- Passing. Going around a rider requires enough space. If a driver cuts off a biker or doesn’t give them enough space and sideswipes them, they could cause an accident.
- Following Too Closely. A driver who’s following too closely may not have enough time to stop. If they hit the rear tire, they can knock the rider off balance.
- Aggressive Driving. Reckless driving, like speeding or changing lanes without signaling or giving others time to prepare can cause motorcycle collisions.
Motorcyclists will likely sustain more severe injuries than a person in a vehicle because they do not have the same protection. A motorcyclist has a helmet and thick clothing. If they are struck with force and are hit by a car or hit the ground, their injuries can be life-threatening.
Brain injuries, internal organ damage, loss of limb, and spinal cord injuries are a few examples of potentially fatal injuries. If the rider survives these injuries, they may live with a permanent or catastrophic injury. Muscle control, mobility, and speech are a few examples of functions that can be affected. This could result in requiring medical equipment, a change in jobs, or being unable to continue to work.
Riders can also sustain broken bones and lacerations from a motorcycle crash. While these injuries can fully heal, they can still require a lengthy recovery time to do so.
Another potential injury is road rash. This is the most common injury motorcyclists get. It’s a burn injury that is caused by sliding across asphalt, concrete, or pavement. While minor road rash may require simple cleanings and clean bandages, the worst injuries may require surgeries and could result in permanent scarring or disfigurement.
When these injuries occur, recovery will often entail medical treatment, possible hospitalization, medication, and sometimes surgery. While the injuries heal, the person will need to take time off work and still keep up with financial responsibilities. This can all be overwhelming—but it doesn’t have to be. Our motorcycle accident lawyers are here to fight for you.
How Can an Atlanta Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help You?
Our goal is to get you justice so you can heal financially, physically, and emotionally. We’ll fight for you to receive full and fair compensation. The damages you’ve suffered can be categorized as economic and noneconomic and you can recover compensation for both.
Economic damages are able to be calculated exactly because they refer to monetary losses. Your legal representation will seek the following:
- Lost Wages. This will cover the days of work you missed because of the accident. If the injuries are severe, you may be away from work for an undetermined amount of time.
- Medical Expenses. Compensation for your past and current medical care will allow you to cover the medical expenses you’ve already incurred and continue to get the treatment you need.
- Diminished Earning Capacity. If you find that you have to take a different position due to a permanent injury, our lawyers will seek compensation for you. Someone else’s negligence resulted in your diminished earning capacity and you shouldn’t have to bear that burden on your own.
- Lost Earnings. In the event you cannot return to work at all, your attorney will calculate what you would have earned if you had been able to return to work. We’ll make sure you’ll have the compensation you need so you can still live your life.
There other important aspect of your recovery and compensation that you may not have thought as much about is the noneconomic damages, or non-monetary consequences. An accident does more than cause significant financial damages. If you’re no longer able to walk, do your job, participate in hobbies you used to enjoy, or are missing out on other life events, it’s going to take an emotional toll. These consequences cannot be and will not be ignored when determining your compensation.
Noneconomic damages can include the following:
- Pain and Suffering. The accident and injuries you sustained were likely painful. If you experienced pain and suffering from your injuries, our lawyers will take this into account when determining compensation.
- Mental Anguish. Losing a limb or an injury that causes permanent disfigurement can cause mental anguish and emotional distress.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life. If a motorcycle accident results in paralysis and you’re no longer able to go for walks or move in the way you used to, this changes your life significantly and it can be difficult to come to terms with. When these instances are the result of someone else’s negligence, your attorney will seek appropriate compensation for those losses.
While economic and noneconomic damages are the main components of compensation, punitive damages may also apply. These damages are rare because they’re difficult to prove and serve to punish the guilty party. It’s important to know these aren’t common in every case and need to meet specific qualifications. The damages may be available if the negligent party acted in some egregious manner like driving while under the influence or going well above the speed limit.
An experienced Atlanta motorcycle accident lawyer from our law firm will go over everything that happened to you and calculate fair compensation for your injuries. We’ll also gather evidence to show how the other party was at fault for you to receive compensation. Our lawyers are well-versed in state laws and how they will affect your case. Let’s look into comparative negligence law and how it works.
Comparative Negligence Law
In Georgia, comparative negligence law will apply to your case. You need to show that the other party was liable for your injuries and if you were partially liable, to show that you were less than 50% at fault. You lawyer will use the evidence from the accident scene, medical records, and other evidence available to demonstrate that you were a victim of negligence.
Possible liable parties for your accident can include the other driver or it could be a party that wasn’t present at the crash. If an auto part manufacturing company issued a faulty part, it could have been the cause of the accident. This is why it’s vital to have experienced motorcycle accident attorneys looking into your claim.
Get the Legal Counsel You Need Today
If you or a loved one has been injured, Bey & Associates is here for residents of Atlanta and the state. We understand how a lawsuit can help you get the recovery you need after a motorcycle accident. While this process can be complex, we’ll be at your side every step of the way.
We’ll deal with insurance companies so you aren’t in a situation where you accept an unfavorable settlement that doesn’t reflect the losses you’ve incurred. Our lawyers will always put your best interests first.
Our experienced lawyers will take steps to ensure your voice is heard and you receive the compensation you need to move forward. For more information about your rights and options or to start your claim, contact our office today.