When you’re driving on the highway, you’re going to pass a few trucks. These vehicles can weigh up to 80,000 pounds and need more time to slow down and speed up. Trucks have several blind spots where they won’t have any idea you’re there. You should learn these blind spots and a few safety tips to help keep everyone safe on the road.
Sometimes, people aren’t aware of truck’s blind spots and accidents happen. If you live in Georgia and have been in a truck accident, you need an Atlanta truck accident lawyer. Bey & Associates has experienced lawyers who will give you the assistance you deserve.
Where Are a Truck’s Blind Spots?
A truck has three blind spot areas where you don’t want to stay for long. Crashes are more likely to happen in these areas, also called “No Zones.”
- When you’re driving in front of a truck, stay about 20ft. ahead so they can see you. A good rule of thumb is if you can see the truck’s headlights in your rearview mirror, you’re at a safe distance.
- Large trucks need time to stop and speed up. Stay at least 30 ft. behind a truck because they can’t see you. Driving right next to them isn’t the best or safest idea.
- The left side of the truck has a blind spot about the size of one lane. The right side takes up about two lanes. If you’re on the side of a truck and you can’t see them through their side mirrors, they probably can’t see you.
What Are Some Driver Safety Tips?
Applying your blind spot knowledge will help you know how to drive around trucks.
- Avoid the “No Zones.” While it’s okay to move carefully past a truck, don’t stay in the “No Zones.” The driver’s limited visibility could also lead to limited awareness and increase the danger of an accident.
- Pass with Care. When passing, move up well ahead of the truck because of their front blind spot. Cautious driving will help you avoid an accident.
- Be Aware of Turns and Lane Changes. Know that trucks make wide turns and need time for lane changes. Don’t block them or get angry because the truck driver maneuvers more slowly.
- Don’t Tailgate. Aggressive driving never made anyone safer. Trucks need time to stop and have a back blind spot. Give the truck plenty of space.
Do You Need an Atlanta Truck Accident Lawyer?
Have you or a loved one been in a truck accident in Georgia? Bey & Associates understands the emotional turmoil you’re experiencing. You might also be dealing with hospital bills. You shouldn’t have to go through this kind of stress alone, and you don’t have to. The lawyers at Bey & Associates handle truck accident cases regularly and will do all they can to fight for your rights.
Don’t wait another day. Call us now at (404) 344-4448 and we’ll discuss your options and what is best for you.