Bey & Associates, LLC was proud to attend this year’s Gate City Bar Association Gala that was held Saturday, November 11 at the Grand Hyatt Atlanta Hotel in Buckhead. The event celebrated the 2017 Gate City Bar Association Hall of Fame inductees. Scholarships were also presented from the organization to third year law students attending Emory and Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School.
Founded in 1948, the Gate City Bar Association is the oldest African-American Bar Association in the state of Georgia. The association was organized by ten African-American lawyers to provide the educational, social, and community involvement of a professional association for African-American lawyers who had been excluded from participating in the segregated bar associations in Atlanta and throughout the state.
The Gate City Bar Association strives to uphold and extend principles of justice in every phase of American life so no one is discriminated against because of color, race, religious beliefs, or national origin as well as oppose arbitrary and capricious laws in the state. The organization encourages and helps outstanding law students attend first-rate law schools so they’re able to return to the communities that may need their assistance most and provide legal aid however they can.
The organization’s purpose as is follows:
- To uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of Georgia;
- To further the purposes and goals of the National Bar Association;
- To uphold and maintain the Canons of Ethics of the Legal Profession;
- To provide continuing legal education programs to the legal community;
- To participate in the selection of federal, state, and local judges;
- To encourage all members of the Atlanta legal community and particularly the African-American Atlanta legal community to participate in the activities of the Association;
- To coordinate the efforts of the members of the Association in promoting the welfare of the community.
CNN’s Bakari Sellers, Esq. was this event’s keynote speaker.
We’d like to share a picture of our team at the event (pictured below are John Bey, Tifanie Owens, Matt McCarren, Michelle Mumpower, Ashley Gholamhosseini, William Stiles, and the team’s guests and/or spouses):